Writing practice: Short Story Time!
The final exam is due in a couple of weeks, and it will include a writing section…of course! In the writing part, you will be given the choice to choose one text type from a list. One of those options will be a short story; therefore, today we will work and practice on that.
Please, take a look at the following writing prompts and pick the one that you like the most!
- A stolen ring, fear of spiders, and a sinister stranger.
- A taxi, an old enemy, and Valentine’s Day.
- Identical twins, a party invitation, and a locked closet.
- Aerobics, a secret diary, and something unpleasant under the bed.
- An ex-boyfriend, a pair of binoculars, and a good-luck charm.
- The first day of school, a love note, and a recipe with a significant mistake.
- A horoscope, makeup, and a missing tooth.
- At a Chinese restaurant, your character opens his fortune cookie and reads the following message: “Your life is in danger. Say nothing to anyone. You must leave the city immediately and never return. Repeat: say nothing.”…
- It’s your character’s first day at a new school. He or she wants to get a fresh start, develop a new identity. But in his or her homeroom, your character encounters a kid he or she knows from summer camp…
- Your character has to tell his parents that he’s getting a divorce. He knows his parents will take his wife’s side, and he is right…
- A man elbows your character in a crowd. After he is gone, she discovers her cell phone is too. She calls her own number, and the man answers. She explains that the cell phone has personal information on it and asks the man to send it back to her. He hangs up. Instead of going to the police, your character decides to take matters into her own hands…
- At a garage sale, your character buys an antique urn which she thinks will look nice decorating her bookcase. But when she gets home, she realizes there are someone’s ashes in it….
Remember that you need to include the three elements mentioned in the prompts!